Delhi to Dharamshala Weekend Gateways
Dharamshala is one of the ace hill stations in Himachal Pradesh. It gives a magnificent view of Dhauladhar peaks. It is one of the fastest growing cities in Himachal Pradesh. Dharamshala was established in 1849 to accommodate the native regiment that was being raised in Town. It stands at the foot of Dhauladhar Peaks. Dharamshala is a hill resort situated in Kangra Valley.
Dharamshala is now the residence of Dalai Lama. Town is geographically divided in two parts Upper Dharamshala and Lower Dharamshala. Upper Dharamshala or Mcleodganj is the residence of current Dalai Lama.
Dharamshala is 511 Kms from Delhi, situated at a height of 4550 ft.
Sightseeing Places in Dharamshala
* The Museum of Kangra Art : Lower Dharamshala is crowded with shops and houses. It also has The Museum of Kangra Art, which exhibits collection of miniature paintings, local jewelry, traditional wood carvings and other artworks.
* Dip Thekchen Choeling Monastery : This Monastery offers accommodation with morning and evening meals. It stands unique with its golden roof in middle of Tall pine forests.
* Church of St. John in the Wilderness : This church was built in 1860, it is a worth visit for its stained glass windows. This church was damaged in an earthquake in 1905, it was rebuilt subsequently. One of the British Viceroys, Lord Elgin, lies buried here. He died in office here.
* Kotwali Bazaar : This is a famous bazaar in lower Dharamshala, a perfect place to bargain and shopping. This market has little cafes, where u can have a cup of hot tea or coffee.
* Norbulingka : This is a center devoted to preserve Tibetan arts and crafts. Set in a Japanese style garden, this place has a temple, souvenir shops, losel’s dolls museum and many other places to hand out. It’s a worth visit in Dharamshala.
How to Reach Dharamshala
* By Air : Nearest airports are Kangra airport located at a distance of 10 km and Gaggal airport located at a distance of 13 km. Jagson airlines operates flights from Delhi.
* By Rail : Nearest Railway station is Pathankot, which is 90 Kms away from Dharamshala.
* By Road : Dharamshala is well connected to many cities by buses. Private and public buses are available from Delhi.
Hotels in Dharamshala
Some of the best hotels and resorts are available in Dharamshala. Accommodation options ranges from star hotels to guest houses and budget hotels and resorts. Some of the resorts are:
* White Heaven Estate
* Asia Health Resort
* Grace Cottage
* Snow Hermitage Resorts
* Spring Valley Resorts
* Club Mahindra Kangra Vallery Resort